Monday, January 31, 2011

Chris Post 5: Dons fail

So Don has been yearning for his place in the group…. He tried his hand at money changer…he failed. Not in the changing of money, but in life decisions.

Now when we left, Nick, Dons brother and good friend of mine took me aside and told me to look after Don. He said it in his serious voice, so I know he was worried. I took this responsibility on board, I thought, I've got your back Don. Little did I know about Don's inability to make good life decisions. Example; So we’re in a small town in Cross River state and we need to change money, there is no real tourism industry so much of the money changing is done on the black market… so here’s the story, what part did Don think was a good idea? Walk up to arb guy and say…”hi I need to change money” ; said guy makes a call, makes sure you have the money with you and says, get on my motorbike in this town you don’t know, and where your friends have no idea where you are. So you get on the bike and drive off into the slum area. Guy then says, go through that shop that only stocks hair extensions and gold watches, and you do. Then through the other shop into the alley behind it, out of public sight so it can be a private exchange, where you are met by a group of men to “change money”.

I’m sorry Nick, I will watch Don more closely next time, and he’s been fired from money changing duty. In actual fact he did fine and the guys were just out to change money. He did get a cool motor bike ride though. But if something had gone wrong, how could I explain that to his parents. "Yes Mr Tye I did let Don go with a lot of money into a slum area." "Yes, he did go into the alley," "yes, by himself… No, we didn’t know where he was." "Yes he probably will fetch a high price in the sex trade."

Anyway.. good times all round, life is good, and I really just use this to tease old Don.

Peace.

1 comment: